Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Simple Gospel

It's only Tuesday but this week has been busy and hectic for me already. It's the end of the year so I have projects and papers to finish, and my brain is so tired it seems like I haven't had sleep in days. 

It's during this stressful times that I leave God on the back burner instead of turning to Him for comfort. But after a beautiful night with my community group girls (who I love very very much), I decided that my assignments can wait while I spend some much needed time with the Lord. 

And I'm so glad I did. 

Reading through John tonight, I was reminded of how much Christ deeply loves and cares for all His children. Chapter 17 is a prayer that leaves me in awe every time I read it. Knowing that he is about to be lead to his death shortly, Christ takes time to pray to his Father on behalf of all people. He asks the Lord to watch over them, take care of them, and lead them well even after he leaves this earth. What a wonderful Savior!

This semester I have really tried to focus on what exactly it means for me that Christ died on the cross. Growing up in church, I've grown accustomed to hearing about the resurrection story; it didn't effect my life anymore. But hearing the story at Easter awakened a curiosity in me that I hadn't had in a long time. What does Christ's crucifixion mean to me? Why is it so important that he rose again? 

I probably should have answered these questions a long time ago, but my answers would have been very rehearsed. Now, I know precisely what it means to me. 

God came to earth and manifested himself as a perfect, loving man, who then chose to die so that I may live. He chose to give up his own life so that I might know his Father and receive the Helper to navigate through this crazy life with. He died so that I could have no fears, worries, or anxieties, but instead I could have peace and comfort that is only found in his embrace. Most importantly, he died not only so that he could overcome darkness, but that I might have the same power to withstand against the attacks of the enemy.

I've lived most of my Christian walk not really focusing on what Christ did, but instead looking past that and wanting more knowledge. While studying theology is certainly not a bad thing, it's a bit ridiculous to learn more about the person of Christ while completely forgetting the entire reason he even came down to this world in the first place. There would be no point of Christianity if there was no gospel.

My prayer is that I never lose sight of what Christ has done for me, that I daily take time to consider what he has done (and what he is doing) for me and let it affect every area of my life. I hope that after you've read this, you take time to really think through all God has done for you. 

Let the love of the Father was over you day by day, moment by moment. When you walk with the Father, your life will never be the same again. It is difficult, but dang, it's worth it.

"Your love so deep is washing over me
Your face is all I seek, You are my everything
Jesus Christ, You are my one desire
Lord, hear my only cry, to know you all my life"
Sinking Deep by Hillsong Young & Free


No comments:

Post a Comment